Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
August 15, 2018
Action Center

Scholarship information from the IAFF and AFL-CIO
The Union News
CLICK on this link to download an application for the Union News
Upcoming Events
PENSION MEETING
Aug 15, 2018
COUNCIL CHAMBERS - CITY HALL
Meeting Agenda Items Due
Aug 31, 2018
PENSION MEETING
Sep 19, 2018
COUNCIL CHAMBERS - CITY HALL
Meeting Agenda Items Due
Sep 28, 2018
PENSION MEETING
Oct 17, 2018
COUNCIL CHAMBERS - CITY HALL
<< August 2018 >>
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Engineer George Blackledge 1/15/1950
Updated On: Aug 04, 2016

On December 1, 1949 Engineer Blackledge responded with Engine Co. 8 to a house fire at 1208 Monsey Ave.  A short circuit in a home refrigerator was the cause of the fire, firefighters removed the unit from the home when Engineer Blackledge was exposed to gas fumes being released from the refrigerator.  A woman in the home was taken from the scene and treated for exposure to the chemical.  As result of the chemical release Engineer Blackledge developed an illness which required hospitalization.  After  a short stay at Mercy Hospital he succumbed to his injury. 

During the next year there was some debate whether this was classified as a line of duty death, however in December of 1950 the State Compensation Board ruled that his death was a direct result of his exposure at the fire on Monsey Ave. 


Scranton Firefighters IAFF Local # 60
Copyright © 2018, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

684949 hits since Sep 26, 2001
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image